Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Day 13. Great Falls to Geraldine, MT

As I was looking over today's route, google maps showed me a option my Adventure Cycling maps did not.  It seemed easier.  Yesterday, when I was telling Dorothy my general plans, she asked a simple question that saved the day......"is it paved?"    As zoomed down on the road from the "satellite" view.  It indeed was paved, for about 100 yards, then for the next 30 miles or so it was mud, dirt and gravel.   So apparently there are no shorts cuts.  There is a life lesson or two in this, I believe.  

The ride itself turned out to be the easiest ride, by far.   The storm passed, but some clouds trailed which kept the sun from warming it up early, so I rode until lunch in jacket and warmers. As it turned out, lunch came early.  The winds were gusting in the 20s and steadily at 14 MPH.  90 percent of the time they were favoring winds and I was speeding along quite nicely. There were times I was doing 25mph, with the 75+lbs of bike and gear, with my heart rate at about 120.  That is a strong wind.  I am certainly grateful I was headed East, because the reverse would have been nearly impossible.  The wind-aided ride was not without some trepidation, in the beginning.  The road was narrow with little to no shoulder.  So when the double hitched grain trucks came roaring by, they created additional turbulence with the wind that I thought was going to pull me up into the cab with them.  When the came by, all of my touch points gripped the bike, including my toes.  After about 20 miles, the shoulder widened and it was much easier for all of us.  

With that speed, I ended up crossing the 40 miles to Fort Benton by 11 am.  I took advantage of that time and toured around the town for about 3 hrs, including lunch.  Fort Benton is the oldest continually inhabited town in Montana and has an incredible history.  As previously mentioned, it was the major port and trading post on the north Missouri River.  It thrived until the railroads came through, but has still succeeded in the agriculture of wheat and beef, since. I had time to read many of the historical markers and visit a bit with Muncie who worked in the visitors center. Some of the oldest architecture and buildings still remain.  As an additional treat, Morris and Patsy from Alberta, CA saw me reading a marker, and offered me a slice of lemon pound cake.  I feebly, initially refused and but then quickly acquiesced at their second prompting and enjoyed their cake.  They offered me the last piece, but this time I did indeed refuse. 

The terrain was rolling and dominated by wheat and barley fields, with a backdrop of the Highwood Mountains in the distance.  What amazed me is that I am riding along thousands of acres of farm land and then there is a sign that says scenic turnoff 1/2 mile.  Suddenly the earth opens up with sheer cliffs and the Missouri River.  Stunning, really.  

The wind is still strong as I climb up from the Missouri River and head to Geraldine.  I arrive in short order into the town of about 266, it says.  The town, named after Geraldine Rockefeller, is apparently very good at "6 man" football as they boast several state championships, including 2014.  


I have dinner at Rusty's bar and grill (looks to be the only option), ride my bike a couple of blocks down the street to the city park and pitch my tent.  It is a nice large park with a few tables, a kids play area and some protective trees.  Frankly, a pretty nice place to camp for free. 

I plan to grab breakfast at Rustys in the morning and head to Lewistown, MT.  About 75 miles away.  Let's hope the wind does not shift.  

So, all in all, today's ride was a...um....breeze.  

Pandora mix:   Lynyrd Skynrd.  "Call me the breeze".  

No comments:

Post a Comment