Thursday, July 30, 2015

Day 15. To Mosby, MT


I awoke this morning and opened the tent only to be glared at by two deer.  Previously, I awoke in Lincoln to a fawn munching in the neighbors yard, then looked across the street to see one "grazing" in front of the post office.  I had a stare-down with one on the roadside yesterday as I pedaled slowly by.  I saw them literally walking in the street in Missoula. They do not appear that elusive, frankly.  

After a quality scone and coffee at the Rising Trout Cafe on Main Street in Lewistown, I was off on an 84 mile day to Mosby, MT. I was just on the outskirts of town, when off to my left on a hill I saw a sentry of cows lined up on the ridge, as if watching over town. They were not very good at this apparently, as I cycled by them, undetected.   

The route itself started off as 10 mile climb up Horseshoe Bend. However, it was predominantly a downhill ride, hence. With the Judith And Moccasin Mountain behind me, the terrain turned to more wide-open ranges, plateaus and hay fields.  As if to solidify the point, my mid-morning stop was at a hardware/convenience store in Grass Range, MT. There I had a banana, peach, and hummus, while being entertained by the new owner's children.  

Winnett, MT was 25 miles further where lunch was a BLT and some very sweet tea.  


The open ranges were dotted with Black and Red Angus (I did not know there were Red Angus) cows early in the ride. But eventually the hay and cattle fields gave way to more harsh looking landscape of low shrubs.  The increasing count of deer carcass by the roadside eerily accentuated the harshness of the terrain.  Even so, there were continuing beautiful, predominantly purple, wildflowers to enjoy.  

Tonight I am staying at a BnB in Mosby, MT called the Hill Ranch Oasis.  It is the only accommodation for quite a few miles, including camping.  I have just arrived and am the only guest for the 5 basement rooms.  It is very comfortable and I'm enjoying the recliners and sofas, a rare treat these last weeks. Delores and her son are preparing dinner for tonight. More to come in tomorrow's post.  

Side note: I saw Boyd Creek today. Hmm. Previously, on my way into Lincoln, I had stopped for lunch at a convenience store at the 200/209 junction.  My map showed Boyd Mountain off in the horizon.  It was indiscernible and unimpressive. Figures. 

Pandora Mix: John Coltrane. 

No comments:

Post a Comment