Friday, July 24, 2015

Day 8. Powell, Idaho to Missoula, MT

Yesterday was a planned short day into Missoula.  Short days are needed.  

The days starts with a 2400ft climb to Lolo pass.  My initial question was will I actually be bored with the scenery as I plod to the top?   Nope.  It was sensational.  The climb itself is about 12 miles with the last 3 miles at a 6% grade that I lugged my 75+lbs of bike and gear up at a sound barrier breaking 5mph.  

With relief, I reach the top of Lolo Pass.  At the apex and off the the right is a rest area and a logged welcome center.  I take advantage of both.  In the welcome center they have a historical area, gift shop, along with free teas and coffee.  After leaving a donation in the appropriate box, I select a tea blend of Rooibos, Cinnamon, Orange Peel, and Cloves called Montana Gold.  It is quite delicious.  In the corner of the historical area is a looped film being shown surrounded by large comfortable chairs.  It looks too inviting to pass up, so I settle in for a relaxing break.  

I learn that the nearby  range is called the Bitterroot Mountains.  They get their name from the bitterroot that grow in the area.  The native legend has it that a grand matriarch of the Nez Perce, during one exceptionally harsh season, prayed and wept for food and nourishment for her family.  Her tears cascaded over her long gray hair and turned into bitterroot in the soil.  The bitterroot was staple of the diet for these Native Americans and is still harvested to this day.  

As I make my leave from the pass, I immediately enter Montana and the mountain time zone.   Changing time zone strikes me significantly.  The rest of the ride is primarily downhill into Missoula, MT.  
On my descent, there is Lolo Warms Springs.  I stop there for lunch a restaurant.  I order a chicken sandwich and get a ham and cheese sandwich (I think).  It is an odd little place that lacks for a certain attention to detail.  There is a TV on in the corner that is playing Filed of Dreams, so I am in no hurry.  I am finished eating, but wait around for the vignette of Archibald Moonlight Graham (Burt Lancaster), ending with Terrance Mann (James Earl Jones) speech, "Ray, people will come Ray".  I wish I was a cool as "Doc" Graham.  

The scenery changes into Montana, the large rushing rivers I have been following giveaway to creeks and streams.  The land is surrounded by mountains, but opens up into more meadows and fields as I descend.  Looks like prime country for Moose.  Indeed I pass signs that read Moose Crossing and Moose meadow.  But to no avail that afternoon, I did not see one.  

I enter Missoula through intermittent rain.  Storms look to be brewing, but I get in before the worst of it.  As I am working my way through town, I ride into the campus of the University of Montana, the Grizzlies.  This is where my sister and brother-in-law (Gene and Beth Cummings) went to school.  I am sure much has changed from the single room log cabin school they attended 30 years ago.  It is a beautiful campus that appears to be thriving and expanding.  I note the large white M on the mountain behind the college.   I am encouraged to climb to it....but I think I will pass.  

I had planned to camp in Missoula, but with the storms approaching, I have a decision to make.  Do I sleep in a real bed with a pillow (not a wadded up jacket) that is out of the weather and comfortably climatized, with a shower... or in a tent?   OK, so it was not much of a choice.  With a rest day in front of me, I opt for the hotel.  I use my hotel points, it is "free".  

Pandora mix of the day:   Baseball.  John Fogerty, Centerfield.  Bruce Springsteen, Glory Days.  Terry Cashman, Talking Baseball.  

"You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."  -- Doc Archibald Graham.  

No comments:

Post a Comment