Sunday, July 19, 2015

Day 3. Evergreen State?


Yesterday, Saturday the 18th, was 91 miles from Maryhill State Park to Umatilla, Oregon. Started the day with a flat tire and an immediate climb of about 800 feet.  Continued the day with 99 degree temps and two places for water over 83 miles.  Ultimately, I ran out of water, even draining my my additional water bladder.  A few miles out of my destination, there was the most beautiful, decrepit, whitewashed bodega where I purchased as much water and drink as I could consume.  I was exhausted and dehydrated.  Of course, the ride ended by being chased by dogs followed by another steep climb to my resting place, at last.   In Umatilla, the only place to eat within any proximity was a dive bar (being extremely polite) where the host was tossing a disgusting pot of "who knows what" out the front door that splashed near my feet,  as she was telling me they could fry me up something if I wanted it.  I ordered a boiled ham sandwich.  Not my favorite day.



So for the greater part of the last two days I have been through arid, hot climate, limited trees and scorching heat.  This sound like the Evergreen State to you? Nope. Apparently the people that named it all live in the Eastern part of the State where it rains, I was told. Where I was today gets about 6" of rain a year.

Despite all of the trials of the day, it was full of amazing views, with vineyards and fruit farms dotting  the horizons.  All of them irrigated by the ever-present Columbia River.  The natural land was of long dry grasses with rocky out-croppings and windmills, that I did not imagine in Washington.  Beautiful, but must admit I would have rather viewed them from air-conditioned transport.  Toward the end of the ride was heavy agriculture: wheat, onions, and watermelon.  Really amazing in this climate.  The Columbia River supports all of this.

The Columbia also support hydro-power through the series of dams.   They produce more than they can use and sell the great majority of their power to California, I am told.

Next segment includes a stop in Walla Walla, Washington.  Looking forward to the respite.

Pandora mix:  With windmills, vast land and the heat (including the wildfires they are fighting), it brings to mind one thing:   Earth, Wind and Fire.   That should do it.












No comments:

Post a Comment