Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 5. On to Idaho






After restful night in my tent, where I could look up through the mesh and see the brilliant display of stars.  The tranquility is a as refreshing as the thirst-quenching water.  Feeling more restored from the previous days,  I broke camp about 6am to head to Idaho.  

Based on the intel from the swimming opportunity from yesterday, I did get to Pomeroy along the way and they did indeed have a public pool.  I was so looking forward to a respite from the heat.  Much to my chagrin,  the pool did not open until 1pm.  A conundrum -- do I wait a few hours to get a chance to swim or keep moving on.   I decide to have the debate with myself at Tania's cafe (where I scarfed peanut butter coated pancakes).  The decision is an easy one.  Especially after I received fresh intel from the waitress ride on and swim in the Snake River, closer to Lewiston.  So I did.  I had to pay five dollars to enter the Chief Timothy Park, but I had a refreshing swim, followed by an ice cream bar.  Worth every penny.

The ride was good today.   As a matter of fact, except for the incessant heat, this was a very good day.  With 12mph tailwinds most of the way along with some long descents (preceded by some climbs, of course), it was an easier day. The scenery was endless rolling fields of wheat, hay, and other crops, interrupted by a small town or two.  It even came with the requisite tumbleweed to make the picture complete.  As a matter of fact, in one downhill, I was dodging tumbleweed and trucks.  My own 4D video game at 30+ mph.  

One other small highlight.  At a rest stop on the final climb, I pulled next to a building to get some shade.  In between the crack openings was a nest of birds.  Barn swallows. Their mother was feeding them and she was amazingly fast, finding food and zipping right back out again.  I watched her for several minutes as she picked out a different chick to feed in a blink of an eye.  I was mesmerized.  Nevertheless, I had a swim in the Snake River in my future, so I had to leave them be.  

Pandora: On that last note, the mix of the day will be: The Byrds, Lynyrd Skynyrd (figure it out), and Bob Marley (Three Little Birds).   




No comments:

Post a Comment