Monday, July 20, 2015

Day 4. Umatilla to Lewis and Clark trail State Park



Yesterday was about 79 miles of pedaling that started to take me away from the Columbia River, heading north.  The area is dominated by a wide range of agriculture, but from my perspective perched upon my trusted stead, the landscape is dominated by wheat.  The rolling hills laden with farm houses are as picturesque as you would imagine and hope.

The best part of the day was spending about 5 hours in Walla Walla to avoid the scorching heat that is oppressing all events and visitors- even the Panorama cycle needed shade. In Walla Walla, there is a nice main street with a variety of eateries and wineries that dominate the area.  I enjoyed lunch at a very laid back place called Olive, where they let me hangout in sofa chair for the better part of the afternoon, to rest, relax and escape the soaring temps.   A welcome and enjoyable break.  

The break turned out to be a great strategy, one that was developed from  lessons learned the hard way previously. At about 5pm, the temperatures dropped below 100, to about 98 degrees, and it was of the hour that required heading to the campsite.  The route was a much more rural road so I was actually closer to the fields and homesteads. Along the way I startled an elk (and vice versa) that was down in the hay field.  Unfortunately, she was away before I could get stopped, fumble for my camera and get a proper picture.   Nevertheless, it is fulfilling to just stop in the roadside silence to enjoy the choreography of her prance through the rolling wheat. 

After several dozen miles in what is still somewhat baking heat, I come to rest at the Lewis and Clark Trail State Park. I have arranged prepayment to ensure a spot, but as it turns our, that is not a problem.  I arrive before dark and have ample time to set up camp and relax a bit in the cooling of the shade trees.   The few other campers that I pass give me quizzical looks along with polite nods as they try to assess my form of transport and if there is any rationale for it.  The heat was still sapping during the ride and I am drinking water as if I am a sieve.   The campsite itself is a nice primitive site just a few feet away from a creek that I make time enough to explore for a bit just before dark.   As the day turns to night,  I comfortably settle into my tent to read and enjoy its quiet solitude.  


Earlier in the day, when I was leaving Walla Walla,  I met Fran, a fellow cross-country cyclist from London who was out buying provisions for her trip.   She was nearing the end of her Westbound tour and had stopped for the day.   We talked for some time over the experiences of such an endeavor.  We celebrated the joys, commiserated the pains, and jointly cursed the heat.   I was able to give some intel on her final days and she game me a heads up that there is a public pool in Pomeroy, a town along tomorrows route.  With great anticipation, I plan to break there early afternoon and enjoy a refreshing swim.

Pandora Mix. Today is on to Lewiston, so: Huey Lewis and the News will be our lead. Have not heard them in quite some time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment