Friday, July 24, 2015

Day 9. Rest Day

It is nice to wake up knowing that it is a day of rest with little to do but casually investigate downtown Missoula, MT.  After a large potato-laden breakfast at the hotel and a visit to the Sparkle laundry mat for a much needed wardrobe refresh, I was off to slowly pedal around the city.

My first stop was to Greenough Park, where my sister and her husband got married ever so many decades ago.  It is a 50 acre park that stretches nearly a mile along the rattlesnake creek.  It was donated by the Greenough family in 1902. Beyond its acclaim as the site of the Cummings Wedding, it is well-known for its bird-watching.  Well over 120 species of birds have been spotted in this park alone.  With my trusty Bushnell binoculars, I was able to spot of few of the more common or well-known birds.  Included in my short list was the pileated wood-pecker, cedar waxwing, kingfisher, dove, dipper and sparrows of variety that I could not identify specifically.  There were many other that I could not name, but tried to make mental notes to look them up later.  I even saw two bats swooping over the creek.   As if to validate the park for its bird-spotting prowess, several organized groups, including school children, were quietly treading through the trails with their binoculars aloft, scanning the trees.

After a slice of spinach, tomato and rosemary pie from Bridge Pizza, it was time to pedal around downtown.   It is certainly a bicycle friendly city and is almost dominated by bike traffic.  Adventure Cycling, the resource I relied on for maps and trip details, is in downtown Missoula.  After perusing a few of the shops, I picked up some needed provisions for the days ahead.  While enjoying some afternoon refreshment by the river, it was relaxing to watch small groups float by on a variety of craft and to enviously see an angler land a small trout.

After some afternoon rest, I am off for a little tapas for dinner and then to prep for the ride to Lincoln, MT.  On the road again, as they say.

 Pandora mix of the day:  Willie Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment