Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 7. Idaho

"...our inexpressible joy".   That was a quote I read today by Meriwether Lewis as his expedition team cleared the mountains in Idaho.    

That was my feeling exactly.   Yesterday I pedaled next to the Clearwater and Lochsa rivers. It was what I had imagined this trip out west to be.  Picture, if you will, curvaceous rivers with random Rapids, dotted with the occasional fly-fisherman. Their banks forming cliffs of pine, spruce and fir that provided cooling shade and sweet aromas.  Now imagine that for 94 miles. That was my day.  

It was a steady climb of 4200 feet into Powell, Idaho.  After some requisite oatmeal at the camp, I left about 6am to begin the route.  I took a long stop about 31 miles later in Lowell, for a full breakfast at the last cafe for 60+ miles.  After breakfast, I loaded up on energy bars and water from the convenient store for the final miles.  I took my time, stopping often to enjoy the cool river.  

To enhance the ride, along the way, there were deer, turkey, beaver and numerous birds, including osprey and geese.

As miserable as I felt during some of the trek through the desert mountains of Washington, if felt inexpressible
joy on the long climb today.  This was fun.  This is what I had envisioned and dared to dream it would be.   Very Happy.


I set up camp in the grass behind the Lochsa Lodge convenient store.  It was free.   Showers, however, were $5 bucks, but they supplied a cotton towel.  Worth it.   The camp towels that I typically use are actually quite effective, but they are not as comfortable and comparatively luxurious as cotton...."the fabric of our lives"...it is said. 

A couple of other cyclist camped there as well.  Joel was from Spokane, WA and was a big Tyler Johnson fan, and by extension, a Lightning fan. Needless to say we bored the other by talking hockey.  

They had a restaurant at the Lodge where the food was quite delicious.  Better than the staple Ramen noodles, for sure.   I plan to have breakfast there before starting our for Missoula, MT, which is only 67 miles away.  


Pandora mix of the day: by suggestion ----   Hootie and the Blowfish with Time, Desert Mountain Showdown, I Go Blind.

No comments:

Post a Comment