Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Day 20. Into New Salem

The winds for today were 14mph and unfortunately they were headwinds and crosswinds out of the East.  This is a precursor to rain coming through, as some of the locals told me. Indeed the weather forecast at my destination of New Salem, ND was for rain coming in about 9pm and increasing chances overnight to 90%. Rain chances to diminish afternoon the next day, but maintaining low 30% chance through following evening.  

Armed with this information, I make some changes to my plans. First, I was to camp in the park in New Salem, but with constant over-night rain, I switched to a cheap road-side motel. The road-side motel in New Salem.  

Additionally, with the wind forecast, I decide to make I-94 my primary road for the day, cutting off about 8 miles of projected headwind pedaling.  My theory is that the grades on the interstate will be smoother and that I may get some minuscule windbreak with the traffic.  I had already been on the interstate and knew they had wide, smooth shoulders. My primary concern with the interstate is that I had word that the rumble strips cross the full-length of the shoulder, as well as the trouble of dealing with the exits.  Regardless, I decided to give it a try and if it was not good, there was an exit 5 miles up that I could take and get on the byway.  The rumble strips turn out to be a non-issue. The shoulder is about 8 ft wide, the rumble strips are cut about four feet wide in the center of the lane.  Leaving about two feet on each side.  I choose the outer edge, of course, and that is plenty of room. The main issues is just avoiding the road debris of the radial tires, broken straps, and the occasional hand tool that has flown off the trucks.  I may be sacrificing some view today, but I think it is minimal and worth the reduction in miles.  The exit ramps are more problematic, simply from their basic form. Having been on the interstate earlier back in Washington, I know what to expect, but it does not make it easier.   I have to cross the exit to stay in my shoulder lane.  In short, the maneuver means you are crossing into traffic at pedestrian pace when others are doing 70mph.   Making things worse, most people don't use their blinkers, so you are not sure what they are doing, until they do it.  So my strategy is to pedal as far down the exit ramp as possible, constantly checking over my shoulder for traffic.   When I feel safe, I dart across the lane.  "Nervy" for sure, but It is really not that bad, since I could stop if the traffic is heavy, or just continue up the exit, if I must.  The "on" ramps are much easier.  The angle you must turn and check traffic is easier, and all cars you see are coming down the ramp.  As it turns out, this was not a major issue either, since the exits were lightly travelled and were few and far between. 

The views continue to be picturesque, more of the softer rolling terrain. The agricultural options of the fields have increased as well to include thousands of acres of corn, sunflowers and beans.  These support the primary crops of grains and grass that reign supreme.  The mixture of colors and shades gives a pleasant view for all who pass by, to say nothing of the brilliance the vibrant yellow sunflower casts on the landscape.  

Today I find my head down more often than on previous rides, perhaps a natural reaction to try to become more aerodynamic, or perhaps I just don't like the wind in my face.   It may also have to do with the concentration I keep on the road to avoid the rumble strips and road hazards.  It strikes me that I may be missing more of my surroundings than I intended, but I set out this plan and decide to stick with it.  

I stop earlier at one of the best stocked convenience stores that I have seen. It is a mile off the road, and my prediction based on the map, is this may be my only chance for services. There are several towns with services along the way, but they are several miles off the interstate (but on the original route). To get to them would cost me more than the mileage I want to save. So I overstock on water and "fuel" for the day. The prediction turns out to be right, there is nothing close the road for the entire ride.  

About one mile short of where I plan to break for lunch, I hear the schwick, schwick, schwick sound of something in my wheel or tire.  I pull over to find that I pick up one of those radial wires from the tire debris.  I pull the wire and note its depth and realize that it will be a problem.  I pedal on, since it was not an instant flat. However, within a mile, the tire is getting low. I replace the tube and thankfully took the time to check the inside of the complete tire, to discover that I had actually broken off the radial and a small spur of wire remained.  Had it not been found, I would have ended up using my last spare, as I would have surely had another flat within a few miles.  

After my roadside repair, I had lunch with protein bar and water, saddled back up and headed to New Salem.  

The last five miles of the route was back on the byways and a slow ride in between the crops.  Much nicer.  After I settle into the hotel, I get weather updates and it appears it will not rain tonight, but I will have the advantage of further headwinds tomorrow.

Oh well, we will see what tomorrow brings.  

The highway strategy turned out to be hazardous, so I plan to take the byways tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment