Monday, August 17, 2015

Day 32. Glidden, WI to Star Lake, WI

Based on my informal poll, Wisconsin would give Minnesota a run for its money on lake counts. There have been forests and lakes for the entire ride today as I spent much of it in the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest.  

The byways were lined with thick forest and the road edges continued their showy display of wildflowers.  Breaks in the tree lines revealed lakes and marshy meadows all along the trail.  At each opening, I excitedly and determinedly scanned the waterlines and marsh for the up to now elusive moose.  I was disappointed each time I wheeled by the open view, but optimistic about the "next" opportunity.  

Other than the few towns I passed, the homes, lodges and resorts that support the lake life and fishing in the area were concealed by the woods. There were plenty of small wooden signs that were evidence of buildings nearby. However, only the small curved roads carved out from the trees were indications where many could be.  

As mentioned, fishing seems to reign supreme in this area.  Indeed, Boulder Junction, where I took lunch, proclaimed to be the muskee capital of the world.  The world.  This I cannot prove and I must admit I still have a bit of cynicism with the recent lack of "falls".  However, they were selling and renting lots of watercraft and bait, which includes: worms, leaches, and beaver tails which are large worms. I think this bait was for smaller species of fish, but nonetheless, I think I still would prefer shrimp or greenbacks for snook.  I have heard some of the locals lament over the past few days about many of the lakes being over-fished and the difficulty re-stocking some the classic "best fishing" lakes.  A reminder to all of us to conserve -- take what you need/use, but practice good conservation habits for great fishing in years to come. 

The cycling part of the ride was very fun today.  The temperatures dipped overnight and I don't think it got into the 70s today.  With the overcast skies and breezes, I was comfortable in long sleeves all day.   The rolling, meandering route was a joy to ride.  One 13 mile section was on a bicycle trail that had rolling hills and tight s-curves through the pines that was simply entertaining.   As a matter of fact, some of the turns were so tight that I doubt you could aggressively ride this on a road bike.  Too much speed around a corner at an unsuspecting walker could end poorly.  Regardless, on my touring bike I had great time.   

Aches, pains, sores and soreness are all part of the ride and are to be expected, but you just medicate, adjust and distract your mind.  Today on a climb, however, I tweaked my left knee a bit that seems to be more than typical aches.  It slowed me down a bit and was troublesome on the hills.  I plan to rub in some Skinners on the knee and calf tonight and let it rest.  Hopefully, it will be good to go in the morning.  

Tonight I am in an old lodge in Star Lake.  For 25 dollars, I have a room at the end of the hall, opposite end from the shared washroom. The 25 bucks is less than I pay to pitch a tent at some state parks.  It has great eclectic character, which is to say that its finest days were in the past.   I think the place is pretty cool, but I heard a couple of ladies comment that it was "creepy" as they passed my window.  There are many cabins adjacent to the lodge that seem to be where families are staying for the week to fish and enjoy the lake.  I plan to enjoy the lake by watching the sunset over it tonight.  

Tomorrow I am off to Crandon, WI.

No comments:

Post a Comment