Sunday, August 16, 2015

Day 31. Edgewater, WI to Glidden, WI

As the sun was coming up over Lake Chetac, it was time to break camp for the 80 mile ride to Glidden. The ride started out a bit discombobulated. The bugs were out early and often under the trees as I was packing away the tent. I choose to blame those little flying annoyances for the trouble I had packing. I had to repack my panniers three different times due to forgetting various items. Once I was settled and ready to go, I snatch the bike from the tree it had rested against for the night, only to be reminded by the abrupt stop that it was still locked to the tree. Even on the bike, the first few miles were uncharacteristically laborious. It felt like it was going to be a long day. About 3 miles into the ride, I realized I had forgotten to put on my heart monitor and had to reset my cyclometer.  

After the inauspicious start, things settled in nicely, however. There were overcast skies and a helpful tailwind to aid with the comfort and enjoyment of the ride. 

The route winds and meanders around lakes and over rolling hills.  The area is heavily wooded and part of the route is through Chequamegon National Forest. There is only the rare farm on the course, as most of the small country roads appear to primarily provide access to seasonal homes, resorts and getaways.  As a matter of fact, much like the farms of the previous day, many of the residences had carved or painted signs announcing their owners surname and often the first names around the perimeter. The signs were enhanced with carving and paintings of loons, fish, elk, moose or other things that represented the area along with words like, haven, retreat, and hide-away. 

It was a beautiful ride that, for me, was highlighted by the increasing roadside wildflowers. A wide variety, including aster, blazing star, Queen Ann lace, thistle, phlox, lilies  and purple pickerel weed at the edge of some marsh, that accented the ever present Goldenrod.  

There were many moose and elk crossing signs or other reference to their presence. Indeed, at every opening in the trees that revealed lake or marsh, I scanned the area intently in hopes of sighting a moose.  Many of my backpacking trips we have encountered moose coming through our camp at dusk, eating within yards of the trail as we round the corner the next morning. Many times we have spotted them in the distance eating in the meadow.  Once, when my daughter was taking one of about 4000 pictures of a rock or flower, we looked just beyond the tree line to see a mother and calf hiding a few feet away. We started to snap pictures when they rose and towered feet above us, annoyed at being disturbed. They are obviously huge. It was time to go. Anyway, I think they are incredible animals and attempt to spot them when I can. Today I saw nothing. I was even on Moose Lake road for about 8 miles.  I did not see a Moose.  I did see a lake.  Reportedly the largest herd of elk in Wisconsin reside in the national forest, but I saw none of them.  It was not for lack of trying.  I almost became dizzy looking through trees in an attempt to see them.  I did see several large gobblers feeding in the final months before Thanksgiving, however.  

For those keeping track, the skunk run was broken today.  Can't say that I was disappointed.  

Lunch was at Chippewa Tavern, the restaurant in a wide spot of the road called Clam Lake. The proprietor said the gourmet pizzas he made were the best I would ever taste.  He makes his own dough, cheese, sausage, and variety of sauces that take eight hours to create. How could I refuse? Gotta admit, one of the best pies I have ever tasted.  It was fantastic.  

Resting place for the night is Glidden, WI where I opted to bailout on camping with the predicted overnight rain. There is one motel in town with 5 total rooms. I take one of them. I may be the only one here tonight. 

This is a beautiful part of the country. Can't wait to see more of it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment