Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 34. Crandon, WI to Shawano, WI

I understand the last thing that friends and family in Florida want to hear about right now is rain.  Rain has been my story for the day and the rain continued through the overnight.  Deciding to wait out the weather for a clearing in the morning, I am having breakfast at a local coffee shop. About 8:30am the rain stops for a minute. A couple of people around me give me the thumbs-up, so I pay and am on my way.  

The break does not look to last long, so I start out in my rain gear.  I have a nice ride around Lake Metonga in the cool damp morning.  More limbs have fallen from the overnight storms, so I play road crew again this morning.  The ducks and other waterfowl are close the the shore and skitter away as I pass.  I have been trying to make sure that I identify each of the State Birds, so far.  Three of the states have been easy, as they were the meadowlark that I have seen in droves.  One, however has been elusive and you would not think so. The loon of Minnesota. I don't think I saw one in the State, but I still look for them. I perhaps did see them at a distance, but could not tell for sure.  Today two loon were paddling along out in front of some docks.  The sun was hitting them at a good angle so I stop for a photo.  I try to ease out on the dock for a closer shot.  Then they dove under water.  Apparently, they are swimmers, much like the cormorant, and did not come up for several yards, outside my range.  The ducks were none too pleased with their appearance either.  I cycle in for a bit and I spot them around another small corner and then take a photo through the trees.  

I see houses just off the lake edge with their fire pits surrounded by Adirondack chairs and think my brother Brent would live here.  Quiet, with boat, snowmobile and ATV to tinker on.  Fishing and lots of deer nearby.  This looks to be a place he would like, short of the actual frigid temps.  I think he should buy a place up here and then I could come see how well he was keeping the place up.  

The fun of the lake turns quickly.  The rain break is about 30 minutes and then it is back.  It's rainy and windy for a couple of hours, in earnest, and then lightens up.  The rains lighten up that is, then the wind comes in full force.  The winds are 20 MPH out of the south with gusts higher than that.  I am pedaling south today, into the teeth of the wind.  I am actually on a slow downhill grade for 30 miles and at some points cannot keep the speed as high as 10MPH. To make it worse, I am back out into open fields and farmland by this point.  Passing one farm, a group of people yell encouragement and cheer me on as I am struggling head down into the wind. This is the "no fun" portion. There are no services along this route, so I pull over to the side of the road and find a stand of trees to eat my protein for lunch.  The temps, with the wind and wetness make me put on three layers shirts/jackets to get comfortable.  It does not rain hard anymore for the day, but does sprinkle long enough just to keep me wet.  The 12 year-old child in my head will not be quiet today.  "I'm wet, it's too windy, how much further, my legs hurt, I'm wet, when will the wind stop...."  Geez. 

About 20 miles from the end there is an un-paved trail that is listed on the map.  It reportedly takes off about 7-10 miles of the route.  It is a fee trail where you pay 3 bucks to help with maintenance.   It is a packed gravel surface so it will be slower, but the gravel is "fine" so it will be somewhat smooth.  I elect to try this route.  Theory being it should be closely tree-lined to break the wind, it is shorter, and I need something to distract the 12 year old.  My concern is that is may not be kept very well and it looks rough from the start.  It also may be washed out, muddy or impassable in some places.  I don't want to walk the twenty miles.  There are cross roads on the map, so I figure there are bailouts if I need it.  I decide to pay my 3 bucks at this small green pole that has soaked wet envelopes in a covered holder that apparently does not work well.   I fill out the form, as the ink smears in the wet paper.  Take the display take and put it under my map holder on the handlebar bag.  Slide the money through a thin slot, only to hear the coins I had to use for the last dollar tear through the wet paper and clink to the bottom of the tube.  I wonder how many people actually fill this out and buy the tag.  It reminds of a city park that I camped in I the trip.  The sign said it was a fee of 8 dollars and to pay it at the city hall.  When I went to pay, no one knew how to handle the money, at first.  Since there were other campers at that sight, I imagined very few people paid for their site.  Anyway, it was the right thing to do and I take off down the route. 

As it turns out, it was a great choice.  Indeed the wind was abated by the trees, the trail was slower, but rideable and quite fun.  The 12 year old was distracted by the numerous deer sightings, including one comical scene of three fawn fumbling to escape the side of the road and running into each other.  They had not yet mastered the quickness and agility their adults have when darting through the thick woods. One such adult buck pulled off a massive single bound leap across the road that was awesome.  He was not startled.  He was showing off.  

About 10 miles into the route, there is a truck coming down the path.  There are not supposed to be any motorized vehicles. That must mean it was the park's officer. Sure enough it was. Indeed I was thankful I paid my fee and displayed my badge.  He stopped and we talked about 5-10 minutes, actually.  He was very helpful and I was grateful for the break.  

It was a tough go of it today over the 90 mile leg. The wind and rain were no fun, but the added fun of the "off-road" trail made for a good day. 

Tomorrow it should be clear, but the winds are high and out of the west.  Normally that would be greatly helpful, but I am headed south again. At least they will not be in my face.  

No comments:

Post a Comment