Monday, August 10, 2015

Day 26. Fargo, ND to Fergus Falls, MN

Hello Minnesota.  

I have been asked to verify if indeed there are 10,000 lakes in Minnesota.  If early returns are any indication, the answer is yes.  

The initial entry into Minn at the beginning of the ride was not full of lakes, however. It was a slow transition of very flat prairies and crop land. After a late start from Fargo in a failed attempt to get a few needed items, including said water bottle from yesterday's blog, I headed out through the suburbs into the rural agricultural towns that defined the early route. It is harvest time and many of these smaller towns were colorfully advertising their upcoming festivals on hand painted signs at the edge of town. Sabin has their Harvest Festival this weekend and Barnesville has their Potato Fest in a few weeks.  

The wind was favorable all day today, with few exceptions. So the ride was relatively easy and flat.  At one point, just outside of Barnesville, I am at a pretty good pace as a train hauling some crops and other cars pulls out of the depot. As the engineer urges the train up to speed he slowly overtakes me and passes with a friendly wave. I am running most of the day next to these tracks and we end up hop-scotching each other about 5 times over 20 miles. By the last time we are laughing and waving at each other like old friends. From my perspective, I would say that I am much older than the engineer.  But it felt a bit like the reverse.  Almost as if I was the kid on the banana seat bicycle with the high handle bars chasing after the train as it ambled through town, waving at the grizzled train veteran (Some of you remember that bike, it was cool). Anyway, I found myself entertained by chasing a train today.  

There was a road closure on the route and a slight detour.  Nevertheless, I make the 70+ miles to Fergus Falls in good time. Many of the sections reminded me of cycling in Florida.  The frequent snowmobile crossing signs were a distinct reminder that it is not always sunny and warm. 

After picking up some camping fuel in town, the route comes off the road and on to a trail where no motorized vehicles are allowed. I may be on this route, a rails to trails conservancy, for the next couple of days.  That will be nice. Anyway, about 8 miles out of town I am camping on Swan Lake. It is a campground with about 20 sites, six of them for tents.  I set my tent up in a corner by the tree, just off the lake a bit. Several families are enjoying the water, in boats and kayaks.   

For dinner I cook up a batch of Ramen noodles which are always surprising tasty.  Most things are when you are hungry. However, they don't compare to the charcoal grills I smell cooking nearby.  

I do get a treat tonight.  For the first 3 plus weeks, there have been fire restrictions, so no campfires. Not here. It is humid, a bit wet, so there will be a campfire tonight. The offset, is that the Mosquitos are here to enjoy it as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment