Thursday, August 13, 2015

Day 28. Melrose, MN to Dalbo, MN

The campsite in Melrose was in the city park and right next to the Sauk River.  It was also apparently home to a stray cat that liked to hunt riverside frogs.  When I tried to scare him away, his simply stared at me with a mouthful of frog as if to say "this is my spot, you leave".  

In the morning I ate the requisite oatmeal from my JetBoil stove and set out for the 90+ mile ride to Dalbo.  

The trail I was on yesterday continued for about another 30 miles.  On this morning we were running close and parallel to the Interstate, so the animal sightings were reduced considerably.  Compared to the previous day that had revealed grouse, deer, and a myriad of birds in the early morning.   

Eventually the trail turns away from the interstate and the quiet solitude of the ride is enjoyed.  There are certain stretches of the route where the area feels fully forested with the grassless, composted earth under large stands of trees.  Quickly though one breaks through this back to the open fields and crops with the tall overgrown grass edging the trail.  

The trail produces the same small town intervals as the previous day, and on one case I am drawn by the advertisement for the trail side cafe.  It is about 25 miles into the run and they promote, among other things,  espresso and homemade pastry items.  Proclaiming the best food for miles.  I sit at a table, garnering the typical stares and answering the typical questions, and order an espresso and banana/pecan muffin.  There is only regular coffee, which is fine.  I am not sure how good my muffin choice is because I eat a pineapple/toasted coconut muffin they bring me. Although not what I ordered, it was good.  

Eventually the route departs the trail and I am back on the byways.  Quickly, I wonder if I enjoyed the trail as much as I should. I certainly miss it already.  The towns are now spread apart a bit further and are smaller, more rural outposts. For instance, I stop for lunch at the sole store in Ramey, where the hostess tells me it officially has about 8 people.  I ate lunch with 1/4 of the town.  The night's lodging is in Dalbo, whose posted population is 80.  

Two days ago I spotted crop dusters acrobatically dusting the fields.  By the time I got close enough, they made their last pass, banked hard left and flew out of site before I got their picture.  Today, I am entertained by a pair that are swerving and diving over the crops like yellow swallows.  I do finally get s decent picture of one as it is turning to make a pass.  Any photo of them actually dusting does not turn out because they are lost among the tassel of the corn, they fly that low.  

The largest city I pass is Milaca, about 20 miles from my destination. I spot an old converted house that is now a coffee shop and it beckons me for afternoon refreshment.  I stop in for a mocha frappuccino and promptly spill the entire thing in my lap, chair and floor.  So I spend the break cleaning up the coffee house, buy some water and set out for Dalbo.  

The homesteads and farms along the way are prevalent, despite the town population counts reported.  Chicken farms and dairy farms are dominant, along with the ever present corn and hay fields.  The full smell of barnyards is in the air. (For those wondering if I am still on a daily skunk smell run, yes indeed and today was much more than one).  The barn swallows, tree swallows, chikadees, and kestrels attract my attention today.  Many lining up along the power lines to the homes.  

The destination today is a Bicycle Bunkhouse supplied by Donn Olson, on his farm.  A chance meeting of a touring cyclist years ago prompted him to convert an old barn to a place the adventure cyclist could stay for the night.  It is stocked with a lot of food options.  Has four rooms with wooden structure beds and a thin mat.  A common area with old furniture that is well worn and comfortable.  There is a outhouse and a shower house adjacent to the bunkhouse.  The shower house have a large tub of water on top enclosed by poly sheeting that allows the water to heat the gravity pour shower.  I am the only inhabitant here tonight, so I take full advantage of the couch.  I must say, this is a great place to stay.  A wonderful idea by Mr Olson.  There was a large, heavy thunderstorm that rolled through last night, so it made the stay in the bunkhouse all the more special.  



Tomorrow we enter Wisconsin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment