Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Day 27. Fergus Falls, MN to Melrose, MN

As the sun was coming up just off of Swan Lake today, it revealed a heavy dew. Breaking camp this morning meant packing a wet tent and other items away in the panniers for the days ride.  

After some oatmeal and coffee, it was time to hit the streets.  Actually I should say hit the trail. Today the ride is exclusively on a biking and walking trail. The State of Minnesota has some extensive trails such as these, many of them are converted railways similar to the Van Fleet and Fort Fraser trails.

With no traffic, it was a very peaceful ride. The "rails to trail" are generally gradual elevation changes, and in this area I encountered very little. The land around the trails at times raised up to meet and overtake the height of the trail in the form of what felt like high berms. Conversely, it often fell distinctly to reveal open field, or more often than not, lakes and ponds.  At times I was covered in a canopy of broadleaf trees, other times the trail was treeless with corn and swamplands astride of the roads. These changes kept the ride interesting for the entire route. Often, long flat repetitive views can become mind-numbing.  

The added advantage of being on the trail is that, since it was old railroad, there were towns of various sizes every 7-10 miles right on the trail.  Most of the towns were marked with grain elevators right next to the track, most of which were operating. At least by the noises coming from within.  

These increasing towns add an additional dimension to the trip that I have been hoping to encounter.  In the previous weeks, some of the routes could last all day with one C-Store on the route.  This is quite the converse. I stop in Evansville for fruit and more adhesive to again try to repair my shoe. In Alexandria, I stop at a trail side farmers market where I have a zucchini muffin and sample some coffee.  For lunch I pull into Osakis for a bite at AJ cafe. I could have stopped another half dozen times for more food.  

I lost count today on the number of lakes.  Ok, I never did start counting.   However, I am willing to call it, there are over 10,000 lakes here.  They seem to put them to good use in many of the vacation areas with people on paddle boards, in paddle boats, fishing, tubing, canoeing, kayaking and swimming.  

Of course, in between lakes and ponds, there were more crops of corn.  

The day ends in Melrose where I pitch a tent at the city park.  In the early evening, several people come out to enjoy the park to play soccer, frisbee golf or practice baseball at one of the two diamonds.  

Almost half way.

No comments:

Post a Comment