Thursday, August 20, 2015

Day 35. Shawano, WI to Sherwood, WI

The concept of the weather "clearing" I must not have understood.  The winds are strong again, today from the west.  I would normally be joyous, but I am traveling south today.  I do get about 23 miles with the wind and it was like being pushed along. The major rain has stopped, but the dark, heavy overcast clouds keep drizzling rain periodically. Not enough to put on rain gear, as it is usually brief.  

I mostly travel today by small farms, many of which are dairy farms, mostly up wind it would appear.  The crops are becoming more diverse with varieties of beans and cabbage to go with the corn. 

The homes on the farms and in the smaller communities and towns run the gamut, as you would expect.  Many however, have manicured lawns and robust flower gardens to take advantage of the short season.  Often there are displays of old farm equipment that adorn the lawn.  With the houses surrounded by fields, barns and silos, they are picturesque. Even the ones that struggle against weather and decay grab ones interest, perhaps even more so. 

The ride is short and encouraged from the day before, I take another short off-road river trail for about a mile that parallels the route.  

I am camping tonight at High Cliff state park.  It is a beautiful place, and as the name indicates, is on a high cliff overlooking Lake Winnebago.   There lake is very large and there are moored sailboats in the marina.  I check in at the station.  (I do still get a kick out of the looks I get when I pull up on a bicycle next to these large RVs.).  There is firewood for purchase and I buy a cord and load it on my bike as she tells me the campsite is a mile or two away from the station. I don't want to make two trips, so I load it up.  I have hauled wood like this previously on the trip, so I know how to strap it across my rear panniers.  It is a sight to see, but effective.   It was good of her to tell me it was so far to my site, it would have been better if she told me there were two steep climbs.  I had turned off my Strava that records my heart rate by this time, but I can tell you my lungs, legs, and heart rate were screaming when I cleared the steepest one.  Just before I reached the first climb, a pair of cyclist came flying around the corner, one making an "oh boy" comment, knowing what was in front of me.  "Oh boy" was right.  

I am sure I entertained everyone that saw me, but I made it.  Oh yeah, did I mention that it had been spitting rain.  At this point, I cared not, I was going to burn that wood and enjoy a campfire for the night.  I am happy to report that at this writing, the skies had cleared, the sun broke through for a beautiful sunset, and my fire is burning hot.  It did take a lot of effort to get it going strong, but it was worth it.  

Friday is a big day.  

First, it is a short ride to Manitowoc to catch a ferry across Lake Michigan. Part of the reason I chose this route was to take this ferry.  Should be fun.  

Also, it AFI Burger 21 day.  Stop by Burger 21 for some tasty burgers and shakes and they will donate 10% of proceeds to AFI.  Try the bananas foster shake.  My wife and I have made the mistake of getting one to "share".  It just ends poorly in a spoon fight, but it is good.  

Lastly, but wonderfully, my daughter starts her flight home from South Africa, where she cares for orphaned Rhinos.  She will get to see her mother on Saturday when she lands.  Excited.  

I am not using Pandora, as previously mentioned, but I do have voices and songs in my head.  Today is a little James Taylor:  Fire and Rain and Peter Gabriel: Red Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment