Sunday, August 9, 2015

Day 24. Enderlin, ND to Fargo, ND

Enderlin turned out to be a town (pop. 900) that created a sense of nostalgia. The centerpiece was a marvelous baseball field that was right off the exit and hard against the railroad tracks that hauled the crops in an out of the CoOp.  The thick, old oil-well shaped light stations, the manicured field, hunter green painted wooden stands and dugouts, gave the sense of what you would have seen in many small towns during the 50's. The teams that played there must have been of some report, as the convenience store had historical photos of the teams and their success prominently displayed around the store. Pedaling to downtown for a bit of dinner and a few supplies, I passed several grand old houses that looked to have been built well over a half century ago. Many were in disrepair, but several exhibited their former splendor.  

Downtown had a very well run hardware store where I purchased some glue to attempt to repair my cycling shoes that were coming apart.  There was a comfortably shaded and well-kept war memorial park where I devoured a honey crisp apple that was purchased at the small grocery.  After doing a bit of reading, I decided it was time to eat.  The dinner options were few and I actually walked out of the first one.  I was the only customer and strong odor of what smelled like an unclean cat litter box was enough for me to decide to eat elsewhere.   The second option was part diner, part t-shirt store.  The tea was opaque and cloudy, but the sandwich was fine.  I finished off the other items I had purchased at the grocery, bananas and fig newtons, back at the hotel for "dessert". 

The Enderlin Inn was a super clean and friendly motel.  The breakfast area was called the Sunflower Suite and had a few cereals, oatmeal, donuts and coffee.   The room was decorated with Sunflower art produced and on loan from the local school.  There was real quality in the variety of mediums and styles.  Apparently the art teacher in Enderlin is very skilled. 

The ride to Fargo is short, 60 miles,  and I am eager to get there.  It has been 12 days (over 66 hours in the saddle) since the last rest day. Sunday will be a rest day in Fargo.  The route is flat.  For most of the earlier days, I have climbing between 2500 and 4000 feet.  Today's climb was 44 feet.  The humid route was flanked by field and pastures and felt like I was riding back home in Florida for much of the trip.   It should be a simple ride, but I am uncomfortable early.  I have learned that one must control the voices in the head on these tours.  The petulant 12 year old child who keeps asking "are we there yet", must be ignored.  The sage who recommends the slower pace of photo stops and to take the time read the historical markers must be heeded.  Today there are no markers nor great photo ops and I am eager to start the rest period.  The twelve year old child was in full voice and my legs and body could not get comfortable as the miles slowly ticked along.  Finally, to discipline the child, I turn off the cyclometer and just ride.  The tailwind picks up to help speed the ride and I end up joining s family for the final 10 miles.  They were out for a Saturday morning ride and so I got in with them and drafted my way to Fargo. 

When we planned this stretch of 12 days, I was a bit concerned at how my endurance, but I feel great.  Certainly my legs have created a bigger fuss the last few days, but overall I am feeling better than expected.  I am looking forward to getting all my gear cleaned, including taking my bike to a shop for a safety tune up.  After checking out Fargo for a day, it will be off to Minnesota.

No comments:

Post a Comment