Monday, August 24, 2015

Day 39. Midland, MI to Otter Bay, MI

The route for the past two days has been on US Bike Route 20, as mentioned.  This route has taken me through city parks and trails, meandering paths and pedestrian bridges across the Saginaw River in Bay City.  It has worked through alleyways and on sidewalks in long established hard working neighborhoods.  Mostly it is on county roads and rail trails.  It is well signed and creative. 

The wind today is SW at 15-25 MPH.  My primary direction is SE.  So while not an absolute headwind, the crosswinds and I want to do battle again.  The top of of that wind speed is a problem, no matter how you slice it.  However, I could deal with a generally strong steady wind (not 20+).  It is the swirling and gusts that frustrate me the most.  If you can find the right gear, the wind is just like going up hill.  However, when it dramatically gusts, like today, it forces you to constantly shift gears unexpectedly and to fight the bike.  Of the nemesis of the road, the heat is still the worse, as it just beats you down.  But the impish wind makes me angry at times.  

Perhaps my attitude was not right to begin the day.  About 4 miles into the effort, there was a road closed sign on the route due to roadwork. Looking for the detours, it would have added several miles, so I elect to press on toward the road closure.  The thought is that I should be able to pass as I can simply walk around the issue.  Well I could walk around it, just not simply.  By the time I traversed through the construction work, passed the easement and through the fields, (over the river and through the woods) my bike and I were wet and muddy.  It took me about 15 to clean the mud away from the tires and fenders with random sticks that I could find, so that it would freely roll.  Not my best choice. 

Meandering on the route, I came upon Bay City, Michigan.  I did not take a break there, but U.S. 20 has me on a trail by parks and marinas along the river.  That certainly appears to be the center of activities and of significant civic importance with the grandstands for events, parks, boardwalks, etc. 

One of the dots on the map was Frankenmuth, MI.  I ease out of the open farmlands, take a left, weave through the outskirts of a community and cross a river to cycle up on this Bavarian village.   It was packed with people visiting the myriad of shops, inns and restaurants, as you would imagine a historic country German town.  I am told this is the #1 tourist attraction in Michigan.  I stop and walk the streets for a few minutes.  It is certainly full of tourists.  

All was not battles with the wind, Bay City and Bratwurst today. The owners of a small deli where I had lunch gave me a discount for "being crazy enough to cycle that far".  More importantly, the blustery wind had toyed with me enough today and as I headed the last 10 miles due east,  she shifted full on out of the west and sailed me into my home for the night at the Sutter Campground.  She was still blustery and swirling, just enough to let me know who was in charge.  

Of note: I passed under I-75 today.

Moose Search: 0

I have been traveling predominately SE for the last two days.  I will continue that trajectory tomorrow on my way to.......Canada.  Seems a bit counter-intuitive.  

Songs in my head:   Bob Seger; Against the Wind.  Grand Funk Railroad; We're and American Band.  

(note that the recent days artist are all purposefully from Michigan).  

No comments:

Post a Comment